Thursday, October 25, 2007

Releasing My Inner Skeptic

I know that most people will disagree with me and heatedly so...but I can't bring myself to believe that Global Warming is the bogeyman in the closet. I recently read an article about Al Gore receiving a Nobel Peace Prize in conjunction with a research group over something about Global Warming. History repeats itself and it amazes me how the scientific community ignores previous research because it doesn't fit with the current theory. Fears about global warming and/or global freezing have been around since at least the 1900s, it just flip-flops between the two. I know a lot of people would point to the "facts" that the world temperature is raising and that the Polar Ice Caps are melting, etc. Except that previously the scenario has already played out and the temperature then went back down. The current world temperature is lower that a few years ago, it just smacks of human pride to assume that we can destroy the world. If we ignited every nuclear weapon at once, it would destroy life as we know it not destroy the world.
Now, while I may not buy the whole gloom and doom nonsense about the mass extinctions and being burned alive by the Sun's radiation, I do believe that mankind should be conservative. While the world won't be destroyed by us, we can in fact bring about our own extinction. Increased CO2 in the atmosphere doesn't alarm because of supposedly widening the whole in the Ozone, but because of the detriment of smog. Our actions have consequences and many of them are negative and left uncorrected can harm our well being. War and terrorism has a larger effect on mankind as a whole in my opinion than does alleged global warming. I guess the whole point of my diatribe is that why focus such attention on a threat that isn't a threat when millions of people suffer in poverty and disease. What good will a perfect atmosphere (taking the profound leap that the threat is what its made out to be) if the majority of the populous can't benefit from it. An apt quote come to mind "clean first the inner vessel, then clean the outer".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home